A new month brings new events, so check out everything that’s happening in mobile-for-development land this October!
- 4-7 October STAR-TIDES Technology Demo (Washington, D.C., USA) This free Tech@State event “showcases innovative, low-cost, sustainable technologies for stressed populations, post-war, post-disaster, and impoverished [communities].” Visitors can interact with the technology and there will be live demonstrations throughout the event.
- 4-7 October Planet of the Apps Europe (London, UK) If you’re looking for an event that focuses on the business side of mobile development, Planet of the Apps highlights mobile strategies and opportunities for developers, manufacturers, operators, and marketers.
- 6-7 October DroidCon UK (London, UK) Love Android? The latest DroidCon is a two-day event for Android developers; the first day features a community-led Barcamp and a democamp where developers can showcase their work and lead discussions, while the second day features presentations from top Android developers.
- 12 October Using Mobile Technology to Strengthen Civic Engagement Between Women’s Networks in Sierra Leone (New York City, USA) This free workshop from UNICEF Sierra Leone looks at how media and mobile technology can be used to support and empower women’s networks.
- 14-16 October Data Without Borders (New York City, USA) Do you have data you want analyzed? Data Without Borders is hosting a kickoff “datadive,” a weekend of bringing together NGOs with data experts for free consultations and data analyzations.
- 18-20 October RIM DevCon Americans (San Francisco, USA) Want to learn how to develop for the BlackBerry platform? The two-day DevCon Americas is a “showcase for the latest innovations and breakthroughs with the BlackBerry Development Platform. Thousands of BlackBerry enthusiasts come together for sessions, demonstrations, hands-on labs and keynotes — all focused on creating mobile applications for the powerful BlackBerry platform.”
- 27-28 October Tech4Africa (Johannesburg, South Africa) Tech4Africa looks at mobile, web, and emerging technology in Africa. The event has panel discussions, workshops, and Ignite pitches examining trends in technology and information, specifically for the African market.
- 2-4 November Open Mobile Summit (San Francisco, USA) The Open Mobile Summit looks at mobile, Internet, and media technologies, with a specific focus on marketing and business.
- 23-24 November Mobile Web in Africa 2.0 (Johannesburg, South Africa) This conference focuses on a variety of topics including: the growing mobile sector, customer behavior, the mobile web, the African mobile market, apps and the African media landscape. Registration is discounted until October 15th.
As always, if we missed something, leave a comment and a link!
Image via Flickr user NightRStar